Saturday, January 11, 2014

Christ

I'm going to be doing something a little different on my blog these next few months. I am currently enrolled at BYU-Idaho as an online student and this semester I am taking New Testament. Every week I will be posting something that I have learned from that week. I hope those of you that read this enjoy it and feel free to ask any questions!
This week I'll be talking about Christ, his premortal and mortal life, and the different names we know his by. I obtained most of this information from John 1 and 17 and the New Testament Institute manual.

Premortal Life:
-Christ lived with our Heavenly Father before he came to earth.
-Christ is life eternal because he was with God during his premortal life and into his mortal life.
-All things were made by Christ.
-Christ was given God's power, the priesthood and he used this power to create the earth and everything on it.
-Because Christ was chosen he was given God's light.

Mortal Life:
-Christ fulfilled the prophecy from Isaiah that John the Baptist would prepare the way for the Lord and from 1 Nephi that he would behold and bear record that he had baptized the Lamb of God.
-He lived in this world and the world did not recognize who he was.
-He was mortal and had a body.
-He has power over all flesh.
-Christ gave those who believed in him the priesthood.

Names of Jesus Christ:

-Christ: The Anointed. The first born of the Father in the spirit and the only begotten of the Father in the flesh. Christ is a sacred title. It is of Greek derivation and Messiah in Hebrew.
Messiah- Another translation of The Anointed. In the New Testament the deliverer is called Christ. Messiah is used an a title of office denoting a king or deliverer.
Jehovah- The Self-Existent One or The Eternal. Jehovah  is the covenant or proper name of the God of Israel.
Immanuel- God with us. This title comes from Isaiah as a sign of God's deliverance. It also appears in latter day revelation in 2 Nephi and D&C (Doctrine and Covenants).
The Word- Christ was God's executive so to say. He put God's word into effect. In Moses 1:32 it says that the Father declared that Christ is the "word of my power."

I hope that you maybe learned something new. In studying the different names of Christ, I did and  I know that he is my Savior and Redeemer.


References: The Scriptures and The Life and Teachings of Jesus and His Apostles (New Testament Institute Manual)

No comments:

Post a Comment